|Place of Birth||
|Date of Birth||
51 (in GTO)
Holy Forest Academy
|Actor(s) / Actress(es)||
|Voice Actor(s) / Actress(es)|
|List of Characters|
Hiroshi Uchiyamada (内山田 ひろし, Uchiyamada Hiroshi) is the Vice Principal of the renowned Holy Forest Academy.
Hiroshi is an elderly man, who is showing wrinkles and baldness on his head.
He is shown to always wear glasses and a suit at school.
Outside school and especially traveling, he wears a hat to conceal his bald head.
Hiroshi is initially shown to be a very ambitious and dedicated to his job as a principal of Holy Forest Academy. However, he is rather selfish and constricted to social status rather than moral good. He is shown to hate delinquency and is irritated by anyone who breaks rules, while not being a noble figure himself. He sexually harassed Azusa Fuyutsuki and had a rough start with Eikichi Onizuka.
Hiroshi is easily enraged by Onizuka's behavior, often leading to a great deal of stress related ailments.
Later on in the series, he is shown to be more compassionate and understanding toward students and to people in their age group. He is shown to become better friends with Onizuka and he would mimic some of his actions and personality when he wanted to help teenagers in need.
His role is closer to Onizuka in Paradise Lost. He becomes more responsible to his duty as a teacher, helping a young lady on his travels out of good intentions.
During GTO, a running gag is that whenever he bought a Cresta, which he has great pride in, it always ends up being stolen or damaged by Onizuka and the 3-4 students for emergency purposes, putting him at odds with his insurance company. In Paradise Lost, he decided to change to a MPV that would be useful to him in many aspects. Later, he realized that he chose a Cresta as a sign of his status, while the MPV is the more favorable choice for him. Reflecting his change of heart.
Hiroshi was mostly raised by his mother alone in his childhood because his dad was a soldier and died in the line of duty in WW2. His mother wanted him to follow in the footsteps of his father who was a very dedicated teacher himself. It is revealed that when his mother was dying, she refused the chance for him to visit her in her dying moments so that he could be with his students. After his mother died, Hiroshi felt incredible grief and sadness and decided to aim to be the greatest educator. Hiroshi believed that if he was promoted to became principal at his school, he would have accomplished his goal of being a great teacher in the educational system.
After devoting his life to studying to be a teacher, he began to work for Holy Forest Academy. While working there, he would always compliment and respect his superiors. He would be the homeroom teacher for many classes for many years, and eventually promoted to be the Academic Principal at Holy Forest Academy.
At the time Onizuka is hired, he has been working as a teacher for 29 years.
Hiroshi is first seen in the series groping Azusa and Onizuka catching him the act, which embarrasses him in front of the people there. Afterwards he is one of the teachers recruiting for the Holy Forest Academy, where he passes Azusa to be a teacher but fails Onizuka.
Once Onizuka has been hired by the school, Hiroshi will see all of his beloved new cars totally and brutally destroyed by him on many occasions (for example, twice when saving Yoshikawa). This makes his hate for Onizuka and his desperation for his car grow exponentially. Also, the insurance company will start to set a limit on how much they will pay out after they replace his car two or three times.
After a while the stress from his duties to his job and family are beginning to drive his mind to the limit. He is manipulated by Teshigawara to make a plan to get Onizuka fired because he believes that Onizuka is the cause of all his current problems when he started working at Holy Forest Academy.
When Urumi tried to commit suicide and the school was going through a scandal concerning Onizuka, he was deemed the person responsible and would be fired if he couldn't find Onizuka in time. Hiroshi tracked Onizuka down, and tried to bring him back to Holy Forest Academy so that he wouldn't be fired. Hiroshi tried many times to get Onizuka to listen to him to return to school, even though Onizuka was trying to save Urumi's life. Uchiyamada began to beg for Onizuka to return to school, so that he could save his employment and telling him the reason that he needs to be a great educator for his mother. However Onizuka punches him in disgust because Hiroshi didn't care for his students throughout his career and thought only about himself. Afterwards when Onizuka saves Urumi's life, Uchiyamada begins to realize that he was only thinking about his own situations and wishes, and didn't follow his mother's wishes to be a dedicated teacher who cared for his students.
Relationships & Family
Ryoko is Hiroshi's wife that he met while studying at the Tokyo College of Education. It is implied that she may be cheating on him with the meat delivery man, and his daughter Yoshiko may not actually be his.
Yoshiko is Hiroshi's only and beloved daughter whom he is shown to deeply care about, but he gets slightly irritated when she tries to ignores her. He hates the dog she got, which she renamed Eikichi, since he doesn't respect Hiroshi and constantly reminds him of Onizuka.
Hiroshi believes that Onizuka is the evil root of all his misfortunes. He was visibly against Onizuka's hiring, but had to accept Principal Sakurai's positive decision. Hiroshi is always yelling at Onizuka's behavior and argues with him a lot. Following Onizuka's witnessing of a near arrest after groping an office lady's ass, he becomes far more accepting of his behavior and antics (outwardly), for fear of losing the life he so carefully cultivated. He later becomes better colleagues with Onizuka and he would help him out if he was in trouble.
- In the American Dub, Onizuka refers to Hiroshi as "Butt Boy"
- Hiroshi had been hurt only by Onizuka so far.
- Hiroshi is a living person and leading musician of the "Cool Five" Band.
- Uchiyamada aspired to be a marine biologist in his youth, and is well-versed in marine biology. He has great love for nature.
Manga and Anime Differences
- While Hiroshi was in Okinawa and having a discussion on sealife, a uncaring Eikichi Onizuka harpoons a fish right in front of Hiroshi that this causes distress in Hiroshi who eventually openly supports Urumi punishing Onizuka for pairing her with the Gundam Otaku.
- "SHUT UP!!! I will not allow you to insult our students! In order to defend the good name of your institution, you were blackmailing Mr Saito! You are criminals! You have no right to say anything about educating our children! Because of you, Yokoyama took her life away. You are murderers. [...] It is you who is overacting! Schools and guardianship are noble institutions. Think about who are they meant to serve. Surely not us, the teachers! They were created for students! Despite everything, we shouldn't turn our backs from young people! After all, we are teachers because of calling!" (Lesson 43)
- "Wait I've got to be careful...he's at the school", "That demon!! The ringleader who destroyed this car. That virus of Onizuka!!" (Lesson 61 Pg. 3)
- Hiroshi's surname Uchiyamada means "inside, within" (内) (uchi), "mountain, hill" (山) (yama) and "field, rice paddy" (田) (ta/da).
- Great Teacher Onizuka, Chapter 86
- Great Teacher Onizuka, Chapter 97